Sun Series #1

Sun Series #1

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Deconstructed Yellow Quilt

"Deconstructed Yellow Quilt"
mixed media fabric and collage on canvas
24 x 48"

Detail

This work and the piece in the previous post (Remnants of Another Life) are about how the identity of an object, in this case a quilt, changes when it is deconstructed or reworked in some way.  The yellow quilt that I used for both pieces has been transformed into another artwork that is perceived more as a painting than as a quilt.

Materials for this piece include the quilt, acrylic paint, gesso, shellac, burlap, plaster, a few pieces of vintage linens with hand and machine stitching.  I used the reverse side of the quilt, taking it apart so that the batting is revealed in the areas where it did not pull completely away from the quilt top.  I also used the reverse side of the stretched canvas which calls into question the identity of a painting.  One might react to my using a vintage quilt in this way.  And I get that.  But I am also working on deconstructing some of my own contemporary quilts so I feel like I am being fair in my questioning of the identity of objects...some older pieces and some of my own handiwork.

www.claremurrayadams.com
https://instagram.com/claremurrayadams

No comments:

Post a Comment