Sun Series #1

Sun Series #1

Thursday, January 22, 2015

It is Always About the Process...Always


When I don't know what to do in my studio I make a collage.
It is what I know best.  The collages on these days are not always wonderful, but they fulfill a need.
In this collage I was trying to use some materials that I don't normally work with,
like the bubble wrap.  It was also about the challenge to use a variety of materials that don't necessarily go together to make make something that seems to work together.
I like the irregular shape, but have mixed feelings about the rest of it.
Ultimately, it is about the process, the making of the work, that is important.

(fabrics, lace, bubble wrap, acrylic paint, needlepoint, burlap, stitching)

This piece is 18x19" and priced at $140 including shipping.  To purchase please email me.


2 comments:

  1. Clare, your process led you to this piece, which is lovely. So, maybe it's just a little about the product, too? After the fact?

    I am interested in this discussion, and keep coming back to it. I envy the process driven artist who trusts the process and allows the materials to speak. Being in that dialog is rare for me. I seem wired to be product driven, and need to know my goal before I set out, which makes it much less free. I also read the last chapter in books, occasionally. LOL Maybe it's a leap of faith we all need to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, it is about the product. I am product driven, that is why I make so much work. But in this instance some of the materials I was working with were things I don't like or don't think are aesthetically pleasing ...the bubble wrap for instance. But that was part of the process, trying to make something I normally wouldn't use work in a collage. I think the bubble wrap is OK and I did paint it to incorporate it more. I like parts of this and lost some other parts that I really liked as I worked. So I guess those things are part of the piece's soul.

    I don't read the last chapter first, but I "read" magazines from the back to the front.
    So...similar, yes?

    ReplyDelete