This past week I spent some time reworking one of my own older quilt pieces. It was made up of a vintage quilt that someone in my family had made but never finished quilting because they used the wrong batting and backing. Too hard to stitch! I added more stitching, some polaroid transfers that I was doing at the time and left lots of the batting showing. Thought I was being rather daring!
The piece spent several years in a friend's book store where is got a lot of sun causing it to fade, which looks kind of cool, adding another dimension to the identity of this piece.
I have taken it apart and am using the various sections in new work. The piece at the top is the first one I made and the piece at the bottom is where I am right now with this transformation. The more abstract piece in the lower view is where I wanted to go when I started. There are 3 or 4 other pieces in between these 2, so you can see it took a while to get here.
I am hoping to push this painted and stitched fabric idea further and make it larger.
A few posts ago when I started deconstructing quilts I titled the post "Remnants of a Another Life". Looks like I am returning, revisiting that former life again with all of the stitching and use of quilts.
Hopefully I am moving forward into new creative territory.