Sun Series #1

Sun Series #1

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Eco Dyeing

Eco Dyeing with Plant Materials and Black Walnuts

So, not because I didn't have anything else to do....I have plenty to do!...I decided to try some dyeing with
all of those black walnuts that are laying in the yard.  Jessica Pinsky from Praxis (http://praxisfiberworkshop.com) was here to get some walnuts for dyeing her yarn and that is what got me going.  I googled around a bit and then just kind of dove in.
The large piece in the background on the left is a piece of cotton and the large one on the right is silk organza.
The foreground pieces are stonehenge paper which I soaked in a bath of water and alum before dyeing.
The paper and plant materials were layered in a sandwich between 2 pieces of plexiglass then tied with string.
These items were simmered in as enamel pan with black walnuts and water for about an hour.
The leaf and plant materials left their marks in green and yellow while the brown is from the back walnut dye.
I don't know what I will do with them, but they were really fun to do.
I had forgotten the surprise and delight of opening a tie dye package!
                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment