Sun Series #1

Sun Series #1

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Surprise and Mystery

Leaf Tears         6x6" on board

The image here is pretty straightforward.  The technique is related to the layering I am interested in achieving.
The leaf that is printed on the paper with the text is collaged to the board along with a few other light colored papers.  The mark making on the right side was created using a wood burning tool...lots of fun.  The layers also contain tea bag papers, watercolor and acrylic.  I wanted to be sure to maintain or save the teardrops on the leaf so I used clear shellac on them to create a resist for the next layer of watercolor.  Some of the gold and red toned areas come from a piece of silk organza that was painted with watercolor.  The black thread is the final layer.  I am not sure if it is too contrasty or not.  I do like the tension created with the thread and the various implications that it suggests.

There is a richness that comes from creating many transparent layers that I am really drawn to.
There is  no way to directly paint the kinds of overlapping transparency that is in this piece without doing many layers.  Or at least I don't know how to do it.  There is both surprise and mystery that occurs when I allow myself to be playful and see where all of these transparent layers will lead me.

This piece is 6x6" on a board and priced at $60 with free shipping in the US.  You can find it on Etsy and convo me for shipping costs outside of the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment