Sun Series #1

Sun Series #1

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Getting Back on Track, I Hope!

Notations    5.5x6"

I wasn't happy with yesterday's work.  And it was "work".  This is better, but still not where I want it to be.  I found someone's music notebook with musical notations at a flea market and that was the starting point for this piece.
I have also been using a book of shorthand that I bought awhile ago.  I love how it looks and find it a mystery that anyone can read it.  My mom knew shorthand.  I even have some of her recipes with the ingredients listed in "english" and the directions for making the recipe in "shorthand".  Really, Mom?

This piece is on paper, layered with the music paper, shorthand paper and some staining and mark making.  I feel it is truer to how I work and who I am as an artist when it is compared to the garish heavy-handed piece from yesterday.
I guess I work better when I have a concept or am driven by an idea or some materials.  Once I have that I can let those elements "have their say" and work more freely.  Here's to getting back on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment