Sun Series #1

Sun Series #1

Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Power of the Subconscious

Sticks and Stones
6x12"

I resonate with the title "Sticks and Stones" on many levels.  The natural elements evoke landscapes, memories of childhood play,  and the saying: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me".   Here we have physical sticks and stones with the very tentative nod to the saying recognized by the script that connects the 2 pieces.  The script is  nonsensical, more like notations or shorthand, not the actual words of the childhood chant.  It is just as I am writing this that I see the script as that reference to childhood and the sometimes cruel nature of play.
When I was working on the piece the script was just an element to connect the pieces, not something meaningful that is suggested by the saying "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me".  Another example of the way in which my work makes itself know subtly and subconsciously.
(By the way, I do not believe the part of the saying about words never causing harm.)

I think these 2 pieces must sell together.  They measure 6x12" and are priced at $125 including shipping.
For purchase information, please email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment