Sun Series #1

Sun Series #1

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Process + Material = Content



Process and materials are closely aligned for me in my art practice.

I feel they are deeply connected to the communication of the ideas I want to convey.  My work is meant to reveal through its use of fabric, collage, and found ephemera references to the human condition which can be sometimes quite personal and at other times more universal, yet almost always a revelation.

Studio practices are very personal.  I am process driven.  I know how to work with a variety of processes and am always learning more.  I see this aspect of process in my everyday life.  I like to cook and garden, making all of these tasks into another form of process + materials.  

As a student I was happiest if the report I had to do included some kind of artwork to go with it.  As a teacher I was most effective when assigning projects that caused students to engage with their materials to produce work with strong content.  And now as as a working artist I find process + materials to be the driving force of my work allowing me to arrive at an end product where materiality is a driving force of the process.


1 comment:

  1. I think that's why there is so much magic in your work. Something magic happens when you interact with the materials and guide the process. Your work speaks for itself. It's hauntingly beautiful and evocative.

    ReplyDelete