Sun Series #1

Sun Series #1

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Nose to the Grindstone

I have been away from my computer, but not away from art.
I taught a class this past Thursday and Friday at Journey Art Gallery in the Arts District in Canton OH.  The class focused on encaustic painting and incorporating found objects into the work.


I had 6 very industrious students who were experimenting with encaustic paint.  You can tell how intent they are because in every photo I took they had their "noses to the grindstone".   There were times in the classroom where you could hear a pin drop because they were so focused on their work.  I am always amazed by the progress that each person makes when they have time to just really
 concentrate on a media, technique or concept.


When I teach a class I always feel like I learn as much from my students as they learn form me. Everyone shares their personal journeys, their successes and failures, materials and techniques they have tried, and the results, both positive and negative.


Here is one of the outcomes of the workshop, a mixed media encaustic work that incorporates paper, stitching, fabric and encaustic paint on a board by Gail Wetherall Sack.  These past 2 days have left me with inspiration and a need to get back to my own work in the studio.  Thanks to the 6 students who took the class and to Su Nimon of Journey Art Gallery for hosting us!

Now it is time for me to get my nose back to the grindstone!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment