Sun Series #1

Sun Series #1

Friday, April 3, 2015

Good Friday Art Work

Stations of the Cross:  Jesus Meets the Women

I am in an exhibit where artists were asked to interpret one of the Stations on the Cross for the Lenten Season.  I was happy to be able to interpret  the station where Jesus interacts with the daughters of Jerusalem.   I wanted to give this station a contemporary feel and not recreate the traditional station where Jesus meets women while carrying His cross.  While we as women  don't often do a lot of ironing anymore it is something we all have a reference for.  Many of us learned how to iron by ironing handkerchiefs so this seemed to me to be a perfect metaphor for the women mentioned in this passage.

My installation has a man's shirt that represents Jesus.  Inside the shirt is the quote: "Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me but for yourselves and your children".  The ironing board becomes the pedestal for four irons with the faces of women of varying ages who are saddened by their encounter with Jesus as He carries his cross.  There is a pile of handkerchiefs representing the tears of women of all ages.

Here are the details on this exhibit in Canton Ohio.

8 comments:

  1. This is contemplative and powerful piece. Thank you for sharing it. It resonates deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you again for all the knowledge u distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the thread, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting threads like this one.Great Job, I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards,
    Visit This Website For: good friday 2017 usa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Aliza. Doing this work meant a lot to me. And I appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hai,

    I read your article Completly very good stuff Included.

    Thanks for this good doing.


    http://www.goodfridayquotess2017.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reading and for your comment and support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this information. I like your blog post very much. You have shared an informative and interesting blog post with people.
    Easter Images Jesus
    Happy Easter Images

    ReplyDelete